Sunday 22 April 2012

Infinity scarf. Even if it isn't winter anymore

I know it's not winter, technically it's summer although you wouldn't believe it from the weather. Actually, that's not entirely true. The past couple days have been pretty nice. Below 20 still, but sunny at least. And after winter, 15 degrees feels warm.

Despite it being summer, I made an infinity scarf. Two actually. One is lighter, definitely more for summer. The other is oversized and heavier, more for chilly nights. They were pretty easy to make. Cut out a huge long rectangle, sew up the long side, then sew the short sides together. What no one mentioned though, is that when you sew the short sides together, there's a wrong way and a right way. I did it the wrong way, of course. So when I folded it open, the wrong side of the long seam was visible. More than visible actually, it stood out. Even something this simple I mess up. Sigh.

One thing I am very proud of though, in the summer version of the scarf, I matched up all the stripes so they align perfectly. Even along the long seam, I made sure that the seam ran halfway down two of the same stripes so when it's folded open it looks like a normal stripe.



Poor Rupert, he did not like having the scarf on him. He tried backing out of it until I captured him. He's a bit of a scaredy cat.

The oversized one was easier. I did it second, so I knew to make sure that when I sewed up the short ends I did it the right way so that the long seam was hidden on the inside. There were also no stripes to match up. It took a grand total of 20 minutes. I didn't even zig zag the endges cause I figured I probably won't wash it in reality. It's a scarf. Unless I drop food on it or something, and then I can always spot wash or hand wash it.


See, humongous. But I like the look. It even doubles as a hood when needed.


I made it to go with another project, my cape. It has a low front neckline and no hood, so this goes perfectly. It hangs down low and can fold up to protect me from rain! Here's a shot of it with the cape, my next project to blog about! So this is kind of like a sneak peak. :)


:)

No comments:

Post a Comment